Wednesday, November 10, 2010

standout staircases

While I consider my overall style to be 'updated traditional,' I have noticed that the older I get the more I am drawn to modern or more contemporary statements. As part of this I have recently had my eye on some standout staircases. These staircases aren't your run-of-the-mill traditional entryway staircase. No, no – these staircases are wow pieces….you know, like a conversation piece.

J'adore (that means I adore) the fine line between art and architecture; the line where architecture becomes a piece of art in itself. Through my recent interest in architecture I have come to the understanding that just about anything (even a bathroom sink or elevator) can become a piece of art if treated with enough care and passion.

Well my friends, this is exactly how I feel about these staircases. Perhaps it is the fact that I am living in a one story home that makes me dream of staircases…one will never know. I do however know that these grand elevations provide moments of modern conversation while assisting in its everyday functionality.

I leave you now with my one final thought (well more like obsession). The idea of mixing old with new and contemporary with traditional. Just think how fabulous these staircases would look in a traditional craftsman style shingled home!

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I like staircases, but we have to consider our four-pound dog when we look at houses with stairs, or when we build our next house (if it even has stairs). So we probably won't end up with anything too fancy.

    You and I are total opposite in that you are veering from traditional to modern while I'm moving from very contemporary to "updated traditional" as you call it. I like a fusion of contemporary (not necessarily modern--big difference) and traditional. And I'm with you on mixing styles. It's the best way to show your true unique taste rather than doing a house entirely in one by-the-book style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and this is one of the many many many reasons why you are my BFF!

    ReplyDelete

 

© 2010. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs